Jogging for Joe

On November 9, Team Jogging for Joe walked in honor my dad - joining thousands of others during the 2013 Purplestride OC.  I really had to mentally prepare myself for that day - knowing that it would be an emotional moment for my entire family.





It's hard to explain what it feels like to be in the midst of a sea of people who have traveled down similar paths - families that endured the same painful losses. To walk side-by-side with those who managed to beat their cancer - thanks to successful whipple procedures. To try to stifle pangs of envy while survivors bravely shared stories about their well-deserved triumphs. To see my mom's face when we saw dad's picture displayed on the "Path of Heroes."  To watch her sob uncontrollably then fall straight to her knees.  To miss dad in such a profound way that all I could do was crouch down and cry beside her.

 THAT was the hardest part. Dad is our hero.


 Mom asked me to make customized t-shirts for our entire team. Determined to stand out, I opted for yellow shirts and purple font. Ironically our colors also represented dad's passion for a basketball team that he loyally supported since our family arrived in U.S. many moons ago - but I digress...


3.1 miles later, our team crossed the finish line screaming.  My cousin, Mark, even managed to exchange high-fives with a very friendly bear. Lol.


What an on-rush of emotions! I was so proud of all of us. We came out, pledged our support and did our best to show the world that nothing - not even cancer - can ever take away what dad helped build within the crevices our hearts: a family united.




I want to thank everyone who participated in the walk and to all of the generous donors who helped our team nearly DOUBLE our original goal. The final magic number? $1,360.  It's humbling to know that in spite of our late start, we were able to rally such awesome support behind our cause.  I pray that we will have an even more successful walk next year...and the year after that....and, again, the year after that.... until pancreatic cancer finally get the funding and attention that  it so desperately needs.

Dad, I KNOW that you were with us that day.  I hope that you watched us with pride because God knows how proud we are of you.


#KNOW IT. FIGHT IT. END IT. 

Comments

Popular Posts