She's going where?!

Just received a phone call from my sister that will change life as I know it: my 15 year-old niece, Kharina, is going to her Homecoming Dance on November 1st.

HOMECOMING?!

To make matters worse, it's with a boy...that...she considers to be her ... buh-buh-boyfriend.

Ok. All things considered, it could be worse. She could be going with a some wanna-be cholo (since we are talking about Glendora), a druggie or gangster. Kharina could date some schmuck who'd struggle to spell the word "ok." But still, the very idea of her dating is just too difficult a pill to swallow. I think that Tink and I played this situation out in our heads for years now (knowing that "it" was gonna happen whether we liked it or not...) but this has taken our discussions to a whole other level.

During my last convo with Kharina, I asked her if he was a nice guy. She blushed and replies genuinely, "Yes."

Sonofabeotch. She likes him. I mean really likes him. Is the air getting thin in here?

At that moment, I found myself staring into the same beautiful brown eyes that captivated me 14 and a half years ago. (She was in a white onesie with nary a hair on her perfectly round head. The Fif was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. )

Though Kharina didn't say anything, I could hear her begging me not to say anythihg negative or disapproving. All I wanted to do was grab her by the shoulders and say, "Are you out of your gall-darn pubescent mind?! You're 15 FREAKING years old! You have no idea what boys are really all about! He may be a molester and you just don't know it. He could be plotting to steal your innocence; Making jokes with his friends about you! He may take advantage of you. Boys are evil creatures. Bad, I tell ya!"

Instead I say, "That's great, baby. All I want for you is to be happy. I'm glad that you've found someone that is good to you."

*head droops*

I can just see Jonathan shaking his head at me. He advised me to tell Tink to "nip things in the bud" and stash Kharina in an island far away from boys. Eh. What does HE know? HE'S a boy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
*head drooped* We should go shopping this Saturday, while the boys play video games....for a gulp...dress...*falling to the floor*

Popular Posts