I think I'm going to college...

Kinda funny what you can buy with $20.

On Monday, $20 got me a "mini salmon fillet with double steamed veggies" to share with my boss, 2 small packs of San Jose plums, 1 1/2 lbs. of white nectarines, 1/2 lb. of "honeydew" nectarines and an Abbazabba (---Dear Lord! Why OH why am I such a slave to that vanilla nougat with creamy peanut butter filling?! *fists in air*) On Tuesday, I spent $20 bucks on a half a tank of gas and reached in again for Andrew's twin brother to fill the other half of the tank. Know what it got me on Wednesday? 100% purple polyester and a white tassel.

I know what you're thinking...and though THAT would be fun too, THAT type of tassel work would belong to a very different kind of blog, but I digress...

Our miss Jailyn is graduating from Preschool tomorrow.

I can still remember leering from behind some 1990's faux wood blinds after dropping her off for her first preschool experience. The director of the daycare had a clear glass pane window that allowed parents of the younger toddlers to peek inside of their classroom. I must have stood there watching for over an hour.

That day, Jailyn was dressed in a lime green jumpsuit, one of many Christmas gifts from Gramma and Grampa. It had the word "Tinkerbell" embroidered on the backside of her pants. Her hair was up in a double bun that I secured with clips in the same obnoxious lime green color. She was trailing behind her teacher, head tilted upwards - face beet red and streaked with tears. I couldn't hear her but I knew that she was calling for me. I remember having trouble keeping my emotions contained. I had to bite down on my lower lip just to fight off the need to run into that room, scoop her up and announce to anyone who'd listen that I did NOT - in fact- have to go back to work. In the end, I did talk myself out grabbing Jailyn and running out. This very same situation repeated itself for five straight days. Jailyn cried on and off for an entire month. I think that I wept for much longer than that. Eventually, things fell into a pattern and Jailyn did settle in like everyone promised me that she would.

Photobucket

Hard to believe that, that was 2 years ago.

After her shower tonight, I had her try on her cap and gown. Jailyn's face lit up as she saw her little reflection in the mirror.

Me: Aw, baby. I am so proud of you! You're graduating!
Jailyn: I'm not graduating, Mama. I think that I'm going to college.


Photobucket

*sniffle*




Comments

Popular Posts