New Eyes

My Jailyn found 3 forgotten beans in her pink moon sand box. (Remnants of a failed attempt to grow pink palm trees last year.) She shrieked then asked for the following things:

Scissors, a paper towel, a cup of water, a ziplock bag and 2 pieces of tape.

I oblige, then watch attentively as she assembled the items together: Jailyn folded the papertowel, doused it with water, whispered in the bag (?!), then dropped her 3 beans in. One little zip of her fingers across the top and her plastic atrium was complete. The final step was taping the baggie on her playroom window.

I stared at the bag of sad, wet beans and said, "These are really old beans, Jai. I'm not sure if they'll sprout anything."

"Oh Mommy. You just have to be patient," Jailyn replied knowingly. "One day, they'll turn into HUGE pink palm trees with strawberries. You just have to believe."

With that, my little girl let out a squeal and shook her booty as she stared at her creation.

Ahh...the beauty of blind faith.

Photobucket

I know that those beans will never yield fresh strawberries. Nor will they turn into lovely, pink palm trees. However, it saddens me that I've stopped thinking of beans as the beginning of endless possibilities. When did a bean become just a bean to me? When did I stop finding joy in the little things in life?

I'm luckier than most because I will have the opportunity to view the world again through new eyes... thanks to my kids. And with any luck, I, too, will experience something that will warrant a bootie shake and a squeal....and won't feel funny about doing it.

...Well - unless it ends up on Youtube...but I digress...

Comments

Popular Posts