Reflection

I drive a 2006 Scion. It's metallic gray, decorated with minor dings throughout its unusual square casing; and (more often than not) dirty inside and out. It has about 75,000 miles under its' hood and once lost a drag race contest against my neighbor's 4-year-old's powerwheel.

But still... it runs, the payments are manageable and it has NAV (which also doubles as a DVD player.)

I LOVE my NAV by the way- but this post isn't about how many times my lovely NAV has saved me from my uncanny ability to get lost in a cul-de-sac. It's about getting lost and finding my way back by simply looking up.

I was driving around with Jailyn in-tow, completely immersed in a "woe is me" moment. In the midst of my pity party, I got stuck at a red light. I looked over to my right and there was a brand-new BMW - to my left a brand-new Lexus. Both cars twinkled in the sunlight...no paint chips....no scratches...immaculately clean.

I glared at the cars with envy thinking, "I should be in a better car, not this shoebox. I work hard and make enough to have something nicer to show for it." (grumble...grumble...grumble...)

As soon as I finished that thought, I looked up and caught a glimpse of my Jailyn in the rearview mirror.

Photobucket

My little girl was laughing out loud. She was busy watching her Sunny Patch DVD on my trusty ol' NAV. Jai was content and couldn't have cared less WHAT we were driving in as long as we were together.

And without having to utter a word, she wisely put me in my place.

As the light turned green, Jailyn said, "Mommy? Can we please get a vanilla cone?"
Feeling humbled I reply, "Yes, sweetie. That sounds awesome."

Comments

Popular Posts