Surviving Our First Fundraiser

Thanks to Wood Canyon Elementary and the willing wallets of family and friends, our sweet Jailyn survived her first fundraiser. She sold a total of 27 items which yielded nearly $300. Not bad for a first-time fund-peddler in my book.

More than anything, I found it amusing that she took things *so* seriously. She was adamant about calling people to get a verbal confirmation that they would buy something from her before actually allowing them to peruse the catalog.

"If you don't buy something," she monologues on the phone, "then my school will starve."

You can't blame her for utilizing dramatic flare to close the sale, can ya?

And with each phone call, the kid seemed to develop her sales pitch - honing in on what got reactions from the previous call and improving upon it. I couldn't help but feel proud of her. Must be the inner salesperson in me. Lol.

Finally, on her last call, she started quoting prices.

"For only TWO dollars and TWO pennies, you may buy this shelf. For only TWO pennies more, you can get this candle with it," she explains.

I allow her to finish the call and waited until she hung up.

ME: "Jailyn? That shelf costs $9 - not $2,"
JAILYN: (pouting) "What?! Oh great. Now no one is going to buy anything bec. it's all too expensive."

She paused for a moment and then continued, " I guess I could just throw in a hug and big kiss and this..." Jailyn flashed her sweetest smile.

Photobucket

I nodded. "They won't know what hit them."

Pleased with her new plan, Jailyn tucked the catalog under her arms and walked away.

*sigh*

Comments

Popular Posts